Nature & Family Hotel · Adventure Farm · Landhaus Walchhof
The Stieglerhof today is not just a Nature and Family Hotel, but also an Adventure Farm with own agriculture and livestock. Approx. 60 ha of forest and approx. 35 ha of grassland and pastures belong to the farm. Therefore it is also possible for us to offer our guests our own farm produce.
Transport yourself back in time
- In 1877 Florian Stiegler (great-grandfather) was born in Ramsau-Kulm. He came as horseman to Radstadt and met the widow Maria Kocher, farmers’ wife at the “Walchhof” Farm.
- In 1915 they got married – on the condition, that the name Stiegler should be carried on. They had a total of six children (three of which were from Maria Kocher’s first marriage).
- In 1916 Florian Stiegler was born (grandfather)
- In 1926 – the beginnings of electricity at the Walchhof – a direct current was generated using a millwheel.
- In 1944 Florian Stiegler married Maria neé Fleischhacker from Klöch in southern Styria via marriage by proxy. As Florian Stiegler was stationed in Norway during the war, they corresponded by letter. As Florian returned from the war, Maria had already been at the Walchhof for six months.
- In 1946 son Florian Stiegler, their only child was born.
- In 1950 the alpine hut was built.
- In 1952 the power station was renovated. Alternating current was generated using a Pelton turbine.
- In 1958 Florian and Maria Stiegler started taking in guests at the farmhouse and lay the groundstone for today’s Stieglerhof-Walchhof.
- In 1965 new cattle sheds were built.
- In 1965 the hydro-power station was modernised, energy was generated using a Francis turbine. The whole farm was now self-supporting energy-wise. Excess energy was fed into the Salzburg AG network. As a result fishponds were built as water reservoirs. This was the start of our own fish farm, today approx. 20,000 swim in our fishpond.
- In 1970 the Walchhofgut with 14 guest bedrooms was built.
- In 1972 our parents Florian Stiegler and Mathilde, neé. Scharfetter got married. In the following years four sons were born: Florian 1972, Michael 1973, Thomas 1976, Christian 1979.
- In 1977 the farm burned down due to short circuiting. A blow of fate which forced the family to start anew. Building of the Stieglerhof with 20 guest bedrooms began.
- In 1979 the house chapel was finished by Mathilde and Florian. The chapel had previously been sanctified as Joseph’s chapel, but had been used as a carriage shed and at last could be used for its original purpose.
- In 1980 the annexe of the Walchhofgut with further guest bedrooms and an apartment was built.
- In 1981 the tennis court was constructed.
- In 1985 the first swimming pool was built.
- In 1990 Florian and Mathilde built their private house above the Stieglerhof.
- In 1996 Michael Stiegler married Anneliese, neé. Schnell. In 1995 their daughter Anna-Maria was born,
- In 1998 their son Michael was born.
- In 2003 the Stieglerhof spa was added.
- In 2006 a new, heated swimming pool was built.
- In 2007 the new heating plant was built and started up. The whole farm is organically heated with wood chippings. The wood used comes from our own forest.
- In 2008 the Stieglerhof was extended and renovated. New guest bedrooms were added, plus a new, extensive dining area.
- In 2010 the reception and lobby area was extended and modernised. The private areas were also renovated.
- In 2012 a new hydro-power station was built – energy generated with a Francis turbine. The whole farm is supplied with energy. Excess electricity is fed into the Salzburg AG network. Our fishponds were remodelled and a cosy fisherman’s hut was built. In the spring all rooms at the Landhaus Walchhof were newly renovated. In autumn all rooms at the the Hotel Stieglerhof were modernised too.
- In 2013 our farm chapel was restored and shines in new glory. The cattle sheds were renovated – a pen for the cows cattle and a new house for our small farm animals.
- In 2014 the bathrooms at the Stieglerhof were completely renovated. At the Walchhofgut the guests’ snug and kitchen were remodelled. Thus the Walchhofgut now has a cosy lounge where guests can feel at home. All doors in the Walchhofgut were replaced.
- In 2016/2017 Michael and Anneliese built their private house on to the Stieglerhof.
- In 2020/2021 At the Stieglerhof, the entrance area is being redesigned. The restaurants shine in new splendor with stylish upholstery and curtains.